When the flu bites, when the cold stings… these are a few of our least favorite things… Fortunately, most cases of illness can be easily prevented and natural or herbal remedies can help shorten the duration and get you feeling better faster.
Giving the body what it needs and keeping a constant supply of nutrients will help ensure that the body can resist any virus it encounters. But when you do catch that unforeseen cold or flu, don’t worry, there are some natural ways to heal faster
- Garlic – A natural antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antibacterial, garlic can tackle almost any illness.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – At the first sign of cold, flu, sinus infection, or ear infection, put a dropper full of hydrogen peroxide into each ear. Have the person lie still with the hydrogen peroxide in the ear until it stops bubbling. Do this on both sides and repeat every few hours.
- Hot Liquids – Load up on the hot herbal teas and hot lemon water at first sign of illness. The heat helps boost immune system and a variety of herbs can help with infection.
- Cinnamon – Good for more than just stabilizing blood sugar, cinnamon is an effective antiviral and antibiotic. When sick, mix 1 tablespoon with 1 teaspoon of honey and stir to make a spicy and very effective tea that helps relieve cough and congestion and lower fever.
- Face Steam – Boil 1-2 cups of water in a large pot. Remove from heat; add 2 teaspoons each of thyme, rosemaryand oregano. Cover for 5 minutes with a lid, and then remove lid and put face directly over pot with towel covering your head to hold in the heat. Breathe in the steam for 15 minutes. This will help loosen congestion and kill viruses and bacteria in the lungs, chest or sinuses.
- Remove White Foods – At the first sign of illness, completely remove all white foods from the diet. This includes grains, sugars, milk, cheese, dairy, sweeteners, soda, etc. These foods suppress immune function and slow the body’s healing ability. Eat fresh chicken soup and drink hot liquids to keep strength up.
- Hydrate and Rest – If the body is running a fever the best support you can give is to stay well hydrated on water and herbal teas and to rest enough. The body needs several extra hours of rest a day when ill and often several extra glasses of water also.
- Stack up on Vitamins – Make sure you get enough Vitamin D3, Vitamin C and Zinc.
- Natural Antibiotics – Oregano or Oregano oil, Thyme or Thyme oil can be used as a natural antibiotic, this can help fight flu or body infections.
- Coconut Oil -Coconut oil is high in lauric acid and is thought to dissolve the lipid coating around some viruses and make them more susceptible to attack by the immune system. If sick, aim for 5-6 tablespoons per day in food or melted and stirred into hot tea.
- Onions and Garlic on the Feet at night – For extreme cases of illness, slice onion and garlic and place all over the bottom of the infected person’s foot, rub olive oil on the foot first, then wrap the foot in saran wrap and place a sock on overnight. Onions and garlic have been shown to pull toxins and help the body heal.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Drink a tablespoon in water at the first sign of illness and repeat hourly until symptoms disappear. This alkalizes the body and helps kill viruses and bacteria.
- Chlorophyll in Water – Chlorophyll is a great blood purifier and can help bring fever down. It alkalizes the body and is very high in nutrients.
The earlier you can catch an illness, often the easier it is to beat.