When you are pregnant, it is essential that you follow a well-balanced diet. There are essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that your developing baby needs. Most foods are safe; however, there are some foods that you should avoid during pregnancy.
- Avoid seafood high in mercury
- Avoid raw, undercooked or contaminated seafood.
- Avoid shellfish
- Avoid refrigerated smoked seafood.
- Avoid undercooked meat, poultry and eggs.
- Cook hot dogs or deli-meats until they are steaming hot.
- Avoid refrigerated pates and meat spreads.
- Avoid unpasteurized foods.
- Avoid soft cheeses.
- Avoid unwashed fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid large quantities of vitamin A.
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid herbal teas.
- And of course avoid alcohol and smoking.
Back in the day when our mothers were pregnant with us, no one told them what foods to avoid when pregnant; they just followed a healthy diet, and look at us today, we turned out perfectly fine. Your doctor may tell you to avoid certain foods to reduce the risk of getting illnesses during pregnancy. Remember, your growing baby eats what you eat, so eat healthy and stay healthy.