Why walking is good for you
Can you walk your way to fitness? You bet you can! Walking is a great way to improve and maintain your overall health. It can increase cardiovascular disease, Strengthen bones, get rid of excess body fat, it reduces the risk of getting type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers. Walking does not require any equipment and walking with others can make it a fun and enjoyable experience.
Walking is low impact, requires minimal equipment, can be done at any time of day and can be performed at your own pace. You can get out and walk without worrying about the risks associated with some more vigorous forms of exercise. It’s also a great form of physical activity for people who are overweight, elderly or who haven’t exercised in a long time.
Walking for fun and fitness isn’t limited to strolling by yourself around local neighborhood streets. There are various clubs and venues you can use to make walking an enjoyable and social part of your lifestyle.
Walking is a weight-baring exercise (you carry your own weight when you walk) and some of the benefits are:
- Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness.
- Improved management of conditions such as; hypertension, cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness and diabetes.
- Stronger bones and improved balance.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- Reduces body fat
- It strengthens your heart
- It boosts your vitamin D levels.
- It gives you energy and makes you happy.
To get the health benefit, you need to walk for at least 30 minutes every day. You can include walking into your daily routine;
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Do more regular housework like moping and vacuuming.
- Walk to the local shops.
- Walk around the block after work with your baby in his or her pram.
- Go and walk the dog in the afternoon.
- Walk with others; this will make walking an enjoyable occasion.
- You can walk any time of the day, during your lunch break at work or before or after work.
- Walking requires no equipment.
- You can join walking groups and do walking trails in nature.
Walking is a great exercise; you can do it anytime, anywhere. When you are feeling irritable, go for a walk. When you feel you can’t focus anymore at work, go for a walk. When you have been driving or sitting for hours, you know what to do.