There are 6,800 languages in the world, and counting, and since you don’t know where you will be born, you have to be born able to speak any one of them.
Benefits of learning a second language at an early age:
- Being bilingual has many benefits and the earlier you learn a new language the easier it will be.
- Bilingualism leaves children and students with better thinking, greater sensitivity to language and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child’s understanding of his or her language.
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth.
- Enhances a child’s mental development.
- Communication skills will improve.
- The understanding and appreciation of people from other countries.
- Increases job opportunities.
- Learning a third language when you are bilingual will be much easier.
- You will be more aware of language structures such as grammar, literacy and other language skills.
- When you travel it will be easier to understand and communicate with people from that country.
Regardless of your level of bilingualism, get out and speak it today! Speak it to your children so they can start learning a new language at an early age. Make a fun game of it; name some things around the house or even outside. Don’t let this benefit of being bilingual slip away!